Thin Air is now accepting work for our online and printed publications through Submittable. Our print issue– published annually each spring– will accept submissions until December 1, 2021. Our website, Thin Air Online, accepts and publishes work year round – please see Submittable for our specifications.
- We only consider unpublished work. Please do not submit material previously published in anthologies, chapbooks, online, or on personal websites (including FB, Twitter, Insta, Flickr, blogs, etc.)
- We accept simultaneous submissions. If any part of your submission is selected for publication elsewhere, please notify us immediately using Submittable.
- In an effort to encourage submissions from both established and emerging writers with diverse voices, Thin Air reads all submissions anonymously. Do not include any identifying information within your submission.
- For a better idea of our editorial focus, we encourage submitting authors to read past issues of Thin Air. You may purchase a past issue from us for $8 (which includes shipping in the US). If you’re in Flagstaff, Arizona you can stop by Bright Side Bookshop and pick up a copy as well!
- Thin Air does not accept work from anyone affiliated with Northern Arizona University within the last 7 years.
Thin Air in print aims to respond to your submission within 2-3 months. If you submit March-August, know that we likely won’t be able to respond until September when school is back in session. Thank you for your patience! The Thin Air staff is a volunteer-graduate-student-run magazine and we strive to read every submission carefully before making a decision. Thin Air Online accepts submissions on a rolling basis year round and aims to respond to your submission within 1-3 months.Although we have distinct genre editors for our print magazine (fiction/nonfiction/poetry/visual art), our MFA program is multi-genre and interdisciplinary, and so we are excited to receive hybrid work in any genre. Thin Air Online accepts hybrid work as well.Formatting Specifications: Please use fonts like Times New Roman/Calibri/Arial, 12pt., double spaced, 1 inch margins. INCLUDE page numbers and a word count at the top of your manuscript. DO NOT INCLUDE your name/identifiers in your manuscript. If the unique format of your submission is critical to the piece, please feel free to keep your unique formatting.
Note that we may have to alter format for printing due to physical restraints and requirements. Visual Art and Thin Air Online have their own formatting specifications listed on their submission pages.
Thank you for submitting!
We ask for first North American print magazine rights and online serial rights. If your work is selected as a web feature, we ask for exclusive online rights of 60 days from date of publication. Copyright is retained by the author at all times. We regret that we are unable to pay our contributors at this time, and thank you for your interest in Thin Air!