SUBMIT YOUR WORK TO THIN AIR
We accept work for our website and print magazine from anywhere that isn’t called Northern Arizona University.
Submissions are accepted only through Submittable at thinair.submittable.com/submit.
We recognize that hybridity is inherent to the act of writing. Send us your work that most defies categorization. Along with this thin air mystique, the editors also welcome flash submissions under 750 words. Submissions from both established and emerging writers with diverse voices are encouraged.
Beyond the magazine and web features, we maintain a blog and we’re always looking for a word or two relevant to Northern Arizona. This can come from anyone, anywhere (if you’re an NAU affiliate, this is your big chance).
Find blog submission guidelines here.
We are currently accepting submissions for our 2020 print issue. Please be aware that we will not be reading print submissions until August 2019, so it might take us a while to get back to you.
Deadline: December TBD 2019.
- Thin Air reads blind for its print issues, so please make sure that your manuscript does not contain your name or any identifying information.
- We only consider unpublished work.
- To get a better idea of our editorial focus, we encourage you to read past issues of Thin Air before submitting your work. You may purchase a past issue from us for $8 (includes shipping).
- We accept and encourage simultaneous submissions. If work you have submitted to us is accepted elsewhere, please notify us immediately via Submittable.
- We aim to review your work within 2-3 months during school semesters. Please be patient with us—all Thin Air staff work on a volunteer basis, and strive to take great care with your work before making a decision.
- Due to the high volume of submissions we receive, we regret that we cannot respond personally to every submission.
- We only accept submissions for our print magazine online via Submittable.
Send us your best hybrid work. Make us ask you whether what you’re telling us is true. Take us to the edge without hesitation (or with it).
We accept fiction and nonfiction up to 3,500 words. Submissions should be one long piece or up to three flash pieces each under 750 words.
Novel excerpts are welcome.
Thin Air is looking for poems that suffocate. Send us your best work.
We accept up to 3 poems per submission. Include these all in one file, with a maximum of 5 pages per overall submission.
We encourage original submissions of images of visual art in any medium, including multi-media/collage, photography, paintings, drawings, lithography, sculpture, and more.
Submissions should be previously unpublished in a print publication.
Please include a brief description of the artwork and a three-line artist bio.
Fit images to a 1000 x 1000-pixel box and save to medium jpeg quality to keep the file sizes small. Do not send PDFs for image submissions. Submit up to five pieces for consideration.
FLASH, PLAYS, VIDEO LIT & ART: We accept flash fiction, nonfiction and poetry (up to 750 words), plus 10-minute plays, as well as video literature (cinepoetry, video essay, art films, etc), photography and other visual artwork on an ongoing basis to be featured on our website.
Please include a brief, two sentence bio to run with all work, should your work be accepted.
For videos/films, please send a link to your piece(s) on YouTube, Instagram, Vine, Vimeo or DropBox. For art/photography, include links to your work on DropBox, your website, Instagram, etc. If your artwork is selected to be featured, we will pair them with with stories and write up a featured artist post with your work and link to your site.
DO NOT SUBMIT ANYTHING TO THIN AIR’S WEB FEATURES THAT YOU SUBMIT TO THE PRINT VERSION OF THIN AIR!
We ask for first North American print magazine rights and online serial rights. If your work is selected as a web feature, we ask for exclusive online rights of 60 days from date of publication. Copyright is retained by the author at all times. We regret that we are unable to pay our contributors at this time, and thank you for your interest in Thin Air!